Document Actions

Opening statements begin today in drive-by shooting on Soboba Indian Reservation

The Valley News Wednesday, May 13th, 2009. Issue 20, Volume 9.

MURRIETA - Opening statements are scheduled to begin today today in the murder trial of a man who allegedly shot another man to death on the Soboba Indian Reservation six years ago.

Joseph Antonio Resvaloso, 24, is charged with first-degree murder and weapons allegations -- including the special circumstance allegation of shooting a firearm from a motor vehicle -- in the death of Mark Walker on New Year's Day, 2003.

Resvaloso is being held without bail at the county jail. He faces life in prison without parole if convicted on all counts.

Resvaloso allegedly shot at Walker as both sat in their trucks.

According to Resvaloso's attorney, Karen Lockhart, Walker shot at Resvaloso first, possibly mistaking him for Gordon Arres, a man with whom Walker had a beef. Resvaloso and Arres drove the same kind of truck, she said.

According to Lockhart's statements during pre-trial motions last week, Walker approached Resvaloso's vehicle with his own vehicle at a high rate of speed and nearly hit the defendant.

"The question is going to be, who shot first,'' Lockhart said.

Riverside County Superior Court Judge Albert Wojcik said he would allow the defense to introduce evidence of moral turpitude on the part of prosecution witnesses.

"We want to use it for impeachment,'' Lockhart said, adding that the testimony of some of the witnesses could be suspect because of the close family ties many of the tribal members have with each other.

 


Personal tools